Turn To Productions, LLC
Marketing | Promotion | Event Production | Entertainment Booking
Highly personable General Manager Professional with over twenty years of experience in operations and promotion management of live music venues, special event processing and development, as well as sales and service operations within the restaurant (event services) and entertainment industries.
- Talent for identifying customer and client needs and presenting appropriate ideas and solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to gain customer trust and provide exceptional follow-up, leading to increased repeat and referral business.
- Track record of assisting in the design, promotion, PR and implementation of special events that reduce costs but improve customer-satisfaction ratings.
- Expertise in resolving customer / client issues.
- Dedicated, result-oriented and customer\client focused with proven strengths in event management, promotions, and sponsorships for festivals, live concerts, or special events
- Expertise in all areas of online, print, radio and television promotion and marketing
- Specialty in utilizing all forms of free promotion and marketing
- Expertise as a talent buyer
- Expertise in securing venue and event sponsorships
Turn To Productions, LLC: Marketing, Promotion, Events 2009 to Present
Created an independent marketing and promotions company focusing on the live music and food and beverage industries, utilizing extensive contacts and effective promotion techniques developed over the years in venue management. The goal is to provide small business owners who have limited advertising budget with the most effective low-cost and no-cost marketing. Developed plans to achieve tremendous impact for clients using a wide range of free promotional avenues. Create and distribute press releases and promotional emails to effective databases that have been carefully built over the years. Create high-impact flyers and print promotional materials. Utilize internet resources for free promotion. Analyze and negotiate paid advertising as desired from years of experience buying media and consulting prominent media buyers. Create special events for clients that will attract media attention to get even more free promotion.
Created the Kemah Crawfish Festival, which was held April 15 – 17, 2011. A first-time festival on a weekend and in an area crowded with events, and built with no budget, it exceeded all expectations in attendance and sales, becoming one of the biggest events Kemah had ever had, all but shutting down the city, and providing record-breaking sales to area businesses. Secured publicity and press coverage in hundreds of outlets and as far away as Florida. In its 2nd year, 2012, it surpassed the first year and 2013 will continue the growth.
The Meridian – Houston, Texas 2004 to 2009
Owner / General Manager
Served as General Manager to direct overall operations for venue hosting national live music concerts and special events. Lead the company from a financial crisis status to becoming one of the most popular live music venues in Houston with an international reputation.
Lead a team of 15 employees in daily operations for the company. Collaborate with customer / client base to create strategic plans to enhance customer / client satisfaction. Provide employees with tools to maintain and increase service levels to both internal and external customers. Work closely with other departments to promote sales, contests, clarify information, and distribute reports. Gather, analyze, and report daily/weekly/monthly sales and service statistics.
- Created marketing strategy for private party rentals and concerts, which resulted in new business
- Responsible for multi-year contract with Live Nation (formally Clear Channel Entertainment) to produce a series of national shows resulting in increased sales and customer base
- Responsible for securing venue and event sponsors.
- Responsible for promotion and development of more in-house events and private parties.
- Instrumental in improving customer-satisfaction ratings through suggestion, development, and implementation of new procedures.
- Increased employee knowledge by assisting with development and implementation of customer-awareness program.
- Enhanced employee performance and attendance through daily mentoring, one-on-one discussions and motivational strategies.
- Received outstanding positive comments from team members on employee reviews, as well as exceptional feedback from senior management.
610 Arena – Houston, Texas 2002 to 2004
Serve as General Manager to direct overall operations for live music and special events.
Responsible for recruiting to provide top-notch service and employees to customers. Processed reports, answered questions, responded to concerns, and alleviated delicate situations with professionalism and sensitivity.
- Played key role in reducing labor costs by recommending staff scheduling changes.
- Received numerous accolades from senior management for consistently providing excellent service and tactfully resolving sensitive issues
Garden in the Heights – Houston, Texas 1994 to 2002
General Manager and Promoter
Served as General Manager and Marketing director.
Interfaced with customers to identify needs, field questions, and facilitate ticket sales. Provided show and venue information, completed monetary transactions, and resolved issues as needed. Coached and mentored new employees in customer-service processes and company policies.
- Moved the business to one of the most popular venues in Houston from a position of financial crisis
- Played key role in reducing labor costs by recommending staff scheduling changes.
- Created the unique combination of private party, festivals, concerts and other special event business that established the Garden in the Heights reputation.
- Received numerous accolades from the property owners for consistently providing excellent service and tactfully resolving sensitive issues.
- Utilized personal contacts to secure funding to sponsor media attention to the venue and was able to generate a solid customer base for repeat business
- Responsible for creating annual events that were city-wide Houston institutions such as the Homegrown Texas Jam Weekly Free Concert Series, Houston St. Patrick’s Festival, The Celtic Festival Series, The Texas Beer Festival, The Clear Channel Cajun Invasion,
- Worked with different venues and sponsors to give support to worthy non-profit organizations
Aviators Club – Houston, Texas 1987 to 1994
Owner / Marketing Director
Served as owner / manager and marketing director for this business promoting various venues and making this club one of the most recognizable names in Houston.
Interfaced with customers to identify needs, field questions, and facilitate sales. Provided show and venue information, completed monetary transactions, and resolved issues as needed. Coached and mentored new employees in customer-service processes and company policies.
- Played key role in the promotion of club name to one of the most successful clubs in Houston with very limited financial resources.
- Received numerous accolades from customers and club management for consistently providing excellent service and tactfully resolving sensitive issues.
- Received numerous accolades from competition owners and club managers for consistently creating new and innovative promotions and special events resulting in special attention from the City and the local media
- Developed relationships with the aviation industry that promoted huge customer / client database that is still utilized today
Oceanonics – Houston, Texas 1983 to 1987
Supervise offshore survey operations
Navigation and positioning of rig moves, pipe laying barges, dive boats, construction barges, r.o.v,’s and seismic boats. Required to operate Theodolite T-2, T-16, Microfix, Minifish, Magnetometer,Sub-bottomProfiler, Set up and run Del North Trisponder System 540 / 545 responsible for all mathematical calculation and crew average 200 days offshore per year.
Ocean Tec Commercial Diving – Freeport, Texas 1982 to 1983
Functioned as lead tender, diver tender and standby diver with responsibilities for operation maintenance of all surface equipment and ready for any emergence .
Sperio Electric Company – Cleveland, Ohio 1981 to 1982
One man welding shop for entire company and I was responsible for all welding
United States Navy – USA 1976 to 1980
USS Farragut, DDG-37
Honorably discharged, January, 1980 – Disabled American Veteran
Responsible for food services, USS Farragut, gaining invaluable experience in inventory control, planning and preparation, ordering, staffing, meal management, and creativity.
Promoted and helped develop the Westheimer Street Festival – 1994 till 1999
Negotiated agreements with cash and media event sponsors, responsible for promotion campaigns for sponsors involving live music acts in coordination with local radio and television stations, successfully focused promotions and advertising toward regional exposure, coordinated agreements with property owners on Westheimer, organized beverage sales booths and staff, assisted in layout and logistics of event. Work as the sole promoter from the beginning, with a small promotional budget, for an event that drew over 200,000 people twice a year.
Meridian awarded Best Live Music Venue in 2006 and Best Lighting Live Music Venue in 2008 from the Houston Press Music Awards and Best Live Music Venue from City Search for 5 consecutive years.
Education and Training
- Texas Survey Course – Training in all areas of basic land surveying techniques and practices, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas. Completed.
- Commercial Air, Mixed Gas/Bell Diving Course including underwater welding and burning. The Ocean Corporation, Houston, Texas. Completed.
- Comprehensive training in Oxy-Fuel, TIC, MIG and Arc Welding along with blueprint reading. Certified 3-C SMAW and 3-G MIG. AIRCO Technical Institute, Cleveland, Ohio. Completed
- Pipe welding training for.5-G certification. The Lincoln Electric Company, Cleveland, Ohio. Completed.
It is my objective to play an integral part in the operation and success of an organization where the diversity of my experience in the management, operation and promotion of live music and special event venues; my sales and service abilities with sponsors and clients; and the level of my commitment can be used to the fullest advantage in event services and management